Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Touch Closer

by James Thurgood                   
                            
                    so where she asks
               in this coffee-clutch of poets
           and other strangers is home

                  muscles move with memory:
                                           
                  Atlantic breakers my first salt kiss of life
              red island grimed in bloody knees
        green dreams of pastures
   my four ghostly fathers
         their own dreams cleared
                            their stories fenceposts fallen
                    uprooted stumps their prayers -             
                my grandfather
       shouting sweaty, swearing machines
           through red clouds of whinnying snorting dust
   round a treed hollow
            as to honour the homemade house
       that birthed my grandmother
            whose air of baked bread
                    fed morning’s ravens
             - my uncle yanking
      a familytree of potatoes
                    from sighing earth

             the hardknock city
    I strayed with no lunchbucket
                                  six-pack streets that
                          wormed and layered my brain
           till ages off I sleepwalk their maze
                                                    toward the border
                                                                                     
                                              and prairies
                       that embraced me
       a Saulteaux voice calling
                         our mother died - your mother
                and others I thought had more time
          but gone this way or that –
                               for when you turn
              you can’t even see how far you’ve come
                              in this endless country
                      where it’s so easy to push forward
                                  so hard to go back

                         I just shake my head
                 but that’s not right either
         so open my hand to this table, stool
                         this dark daughter of northern bush
                   fathered by long-gone logging camps
                                                    mothered by city streets
                                     her flesh pierced and leatherclad –
                                                   her civil questions
                                   drawing me a touch closer

No comments: